swizzle(redirected from swizzled)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to swizzled: swizzle stick
Any of various tall, often sweet cocktails made with crushed ice and usually rum and stirred with a swizzle stick.
v. swiz·zled, swiz·zling, swiz·zles
To stir or mix the ingredients of a drink with a long, thin object, as a swizzle stick: "you build a swizzle slowly, adding ingredients, then ice, then swizzling a little, then more ice" (Jason Wilson).
To stir or mix (a drink) with a long, thin object, as a swizzle stick: swizzled his Champagne until the bubbles were gone.
1. (Brewing) US an unshaken cocktail
2. (Brewing) an alcoholic drink containing gin or rum
3. informal Brit a swiz
4. (Brewing) (tr) to stir a swizzle stick in (a drink)
5. informal Brit to swindle; cheat
[C19: of unknown origin]
n., v. -zled, -zling. n.
1. a tall drink of dark rum, lime juice, crushed ice, and sugar: typically served with a swizzle stick.v.t.
2. to agitate (a beverage) with a swizzle stick.
3. to gulp down; guzzle.
[1805–15; orig. uncertain]
Past participle: swizzled