Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. often sybarite A person devoted to pleasure and luxury; a voluptuary.
2. A native or inhabitant of Sybaris.
[Latin Sybarīta, native of Sybaris, from Greek Subarītēs, from Subaris, Sybaris (from the notorious luxury of its inhabitants).]
syb′a·rit·ism (-rĭ-tĭz′əm) n.
(sometimes capital) a devotee of luxury and the sensual vices
[C16: from Latin Sybarīta, from Greek Subaritēs inhabitant of Sybaris]
sybaritic, ˌsybaˈritical adj
1. (Placename) a native or inhabitant of the ancient Greek colony of Sybaris
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the ancient Greek colony of Sybaris
3. (Historical Terms) a native or inhabitant of the ancient Greek colony of Sybaris
1. (usu. l.c.) a person devoted to luxury and pleasure.
2. a native or resident of Sybaris.