sylph(redirected from sylphidine)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A slim, graceful woman or girl.
2. In the occult philosophy of Paracelsus, a being that has air as its element.
[New Latin sylpha, perhaps blend of Latin sylvestris, of the forest (from silva, sylva, forest) and Latin nympha, nymph; see nymph.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a slender graceful girl or young woman
2. (Classical Myth & Legend) any of a class of imaginary beings assumed to inhabit the air. Also (rare): sylphid
[C17: from New Latin sylphus, probably coined from Latin silva wood + Greek numphē nymph]
ˈsylphˌlike, ˈsylphic, ˈsylphish, ˈsylphy, ˈsylphidine, ˈsylphine adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a slender, graceful woman or girl.
2. (orig. in the writings of Paracelsus) any of a group of elemental beings, female and mortal, but soulless, that inhabit the air. Compare undine.
[1650–60; < New Latin sylphēs (pl.)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sylph - a slender graceful young woman|
|2.||sylph - an elemental being believed to inhabit the air|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
sylph[sɪlf] n → silfo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995