Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to sylvan: Kumon
syl·vanalso sil·van (sĭl′vən)
1. Relating to or characteristic of woods or forest regions.
2. Located in or inhabiting a wood or forest.
3. Abounding in trees; wooded.
One that lives in or frequents the woods.
[Medieval Latin sylvānus, from Latin Silvānus, god of the woods, from silva, forest.]
1. (Forestry) of, characteristic of, or consisting of woods or forests
2. (Forestry) Also: sylvestrian living or located in woods or forests
3. idyllically rural or rustic
(Classical Myth & Legend) an inhabitant of the woods, esp a spirit
[C16: from Latin silvānus, from silva forest]
or sil•van(ˈsɪl vən)
1. of, pertaining to, or inhabiting the woods.
2. consisting of or abounding in woods or trees; wooded; woody.
3. made of trees, branches, boughs, etc.
[1555–65; < Latin sylvānus, sp. variant of silvānus=silv(a) forest + -ānus -an1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sylvan - a spirit that lives in or frequents the woods|
|Adj.||1.||sylvan - relating to or characteristic of wooded regions; "a shady sylvan glade"|
wooded - covered with growing trees and bushes etc; "wooded land"; "a heavily wooded tract"