Also found in: Wikipedia.


also syn·a·loe·pha  (sĭn′ə-lē′fə)
The blending into one syllable of two successive vowels of adjacent words, especially to fit a poetic meter; for example, th' elite for the elite.

[New Latin, from Greek sunaloiphē, from sunaleiphein, to coalesce, unite two syllables : sun-, syn- + aleiphein, to smear; see leip- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.


or syn•a•le•pha

(ˌsɪn lˈi fə)

the blending of two successive vowels into one, esp. the coalescence of a vowel at the end of one word with a vowel at the beginning of the next.
[1530–40; < New Latin < Greek synaloiphḗ, n. derivative of synaleíphein to coalesce]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

synaloepha, synalepha

the contraction of two adjacent vowels into one syllable, as by elision.
See also: Rhetoric and Rhetorical Devices
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
18) signify not elision (where one vowel is sacrificed) but synaloepha (where the first vowel passes smoothly into the second).
First, a point of terminology: following common practice I use the terms diaeresis (dieresi) and dialefe to stand for all syllable divisions between adjacent vowels, respectively within and across word boundaries; conversely I use their opposites, synaeresis (sineresi) and sinalefe ('synaloepha' exists in English, but is not much used), to stand for all cases where two or more adjacent vowels are counted as a single syllable.