Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to synchronous: synchronous motor, synchronous transmission, synchronous generator, Synchronous communication
1. Occurring or existing at the same time. See Synonyms at contemporary.
2. Moving or operating at the same rate: synchronous motors.
a. Having identical periods.
b. Having identical period and phase: synchronous oscillations.
c. Relating to or being a satellite that orbits a celestial body at a speed that matches the body's rotation, thus remaining stationary as observed from the body's surface.
d. Synchronized by an electronic clock: synchronous signaling.
[From Late Latin synchronus, from Greek sunkhronos : sun-, syn- + khronos, time.]
1. occurring at the same time; contemporaneous
2. (General Physics) physics (of periodic phenomena, such as voltages) having the same frequency and phase
3. occurring or recurring exactly together and at the same rate: the synchronous flapping of a bird's wings.
[C17: from Late Latin synchronus, from Greek sunkhronos, from syn- + khronos time]
syn•chro•nous(ˈsɪŋ krə nəs)
1. occurring at the same time; coinciding in time; contemporaneous; simultaneous.
2. going on at the same rate and exactly together; recurring together.
3. (of two or more electrical devices) having the same frequency or period; in phase.
[1660–70; < Late Latin synchronus < Greek sýnchronos=syn- syn- + -chronos, adj. derivative of chrónos time; see -ous]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||synchronous - occurring or existing at the same time or having the same period or phase; "recovery was synchronous with therapy"- Jour.A.M.A.; "a synchronous set of clocks"; "the synchronous action of a bird's wings in flight"; "synchronous oscillations"|
synchronic - concerned with phenomena (especially language) at a particular period without considering historical antecedents; "synchronic linguistics"
asynchronous - not synchronous; not occurring or existing at the same time or having the same period or phase
|2.||synchronous - (digital communication) pertaining to a transmission technique that requires a common clock signal (a timing reference) between the communicating devices in order to coordinate their transmissions|
asynchronous - (digital communication) pertaining to a transmission technique that does not require a common clock between the communicating devices; timing signals are derived from special characters in the data stream itself