Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to synonymy: antonymy
n. pl. syn·on·y·mies
1. The quality of being synonymous; equivalence of meaning.
2. Study and classification of synonyms.
3. A list, book, or system of synonyms.
4. Biology A chronological list of the published scientific names that have been applied to a species.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -mies
1. (Linguistics) the study of synonyms
2. the character of being synonymous; equivalence
3. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a list or collection of synonyms, esp one in which their meanings are discriminated
4. (Biology) biology a collection of the synonyms of a species or group
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
syn•on•y•my(sɪˈnɒn ə mi)
n., pl. -mies for 3, 4.
1. the quality of being synonymous; equivalence in meaning.
2. the study of synonyms.
3. a set, list, or system of synonyms.
4. Biol. a list of the scientific names, with explanatory matter and location of type or types, for a particular taxonomic group.
[1600–10; < Late Latin synōnymia]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Synonymysynonyms collectively, 1683.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||synonymy - the semantic relation that holds between two words that can (in a given context) express the same meaning|
semantic relation - a relation between meanings
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
synonymy[sɪˈnɒnəmɪ] N → sinonimia f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Synonymik f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
synonymy[sɪˈnɒnəmɪ] n → sinonimia
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995