synoptic(redirected from synoptically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
syn·op·tic(sĭ-nŏp′tĭk) also syn·op·ti·cal (-tĭ-kəl)
1. Of or constituting a synopsis; presenting a summary of the principal parts or a general view of the whole.
a. Taking the same point of view.
b. often Synoptic Relating to or being the first three gospels of the New Testament, which share content, style, and order of events and which differ largely from John.
3. Meteorology Of or relating to data obtained nearly simultaneously over a large area of the atmosphere.
[Greek sunoptikos, from sunopsis, general view; see synopsis.]
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) of or relating to a synopsis
2. (Bible) (often capital) Bible
a. (of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke) presenting the narrative of Christ's life, ministry, etc from a point of view held in common by all three, and with close similarities in content, order, etc
b. of, relating to, or characterizing these three Gospels
3. (Physical Geography) meteorol showing or concerned with the distribution of meteorological conditions over a wide area at a given time: a synoptic chart.
(Bible) (often capital) Bible
a. any of the three synoptic Gospels
b. any of the authors of these three Gospels
[C18: from Greek sunoptikos, from synopsis]
1. pertaining to or constituting a synopsis; affording or taking a general view of the principal parts of a subject.
2. (often cap.) taking a common view: used chiefly in reference to the first three Gospels.
[1755–65; < Greek synoptikós, derivative of sýnopt(os) visible; compare synopsis]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||synoptic - presenting a summary or general view of a whole; "a synoptic presentation of a physical theory"|
|2.||synoptic - presenting or taking the same point of view; used especially with regard to the first three gospels of the New Testament; "synoptic sayings"|
same - closely similar or comparable in kind or quality or quantity or degree; "curtains the same color as the walls"; "two girls of the same age"; "mother and son have the same blue eyes"; "animals of the same species"; "the same rules as before"; "two boxes having the same dimensions"; "the same day next year"