tete-a-tete(redirected from tête-à-tête)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to tête-à-tête: widthways
adv. & adj.
Without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy: talk tête-à-tête; a tête-à-tête supper.
1. A private conversation between two persons.
2. A sofa for two, especially an S-shaped one allowing the occupants to face each other.
[French : tête, head (from Late Latin testa, skull; see teston) + à, to + tête, head.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -têtes or -tête
a. a private conversation between two people
b. (as modifier): a tête-à-tête conversation.
2. (Furniture) a small sofa for two people, esp one that is S-shaped in plan so that the sitters are almost face to face
intimately; in private
[C17: from French, literally: head to head]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
tête-à-tête(ˈteɪt əˈteɪt, ˈtɛt əˈtɛt)
n., pl. tête-à-têtes,
adj., adv. n.
1. a private conversation or interview, usu. between two people.
2. Also called vis-à-vis. a small sofa shaped like an Sso that two people can converse face to face.adj.
3. of, between, or for two persons together without others.adv.
4. (of two persons) together in private: to sit tête-à-tête.
[1690–1700; < French: literally, head to head]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A French phrase meaning head to head, used to mean an intimate conversation or meeting between two people.
2. An S-shaped sofa allowing two people to face each other when seated.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tete-a-tete - a private conversation between two people|
conversation - the use of speech for informal exchange of views or ideas or information etc.
pillow talk - intimate conversation between lovers (typically occurring in bed)
|2.||tete-a-tete - small sofa that seats two people|
|Adj.||1.||tete-a-tete - involving two persons; intimately private; "a tete-a-tete supper"; "a head-to-head conversation"|
private - confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy; "a private place"; "private discussions"; "private lessons"; "a private club"; "a private secretary"; "private property"; "the former President is now a private citizen"; "public figures struggle to maintain a private life"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun private conversation, talk, chat, parley, cosy chat, private word, confab (informal) the usual tête-à-tête between the Queen and the Prime Minister
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007