Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tae·ni·aalso te·ni·a (tē′nē-ə)
n. pl. tae·ni·ae (-nē-ē′) or tae·ni·as also te·ni·ae or tae·ni·as
1. A narrow band or ribbon for the hair that was worn in ancient Greece.
2. Architecture A band in the Doric order that separates the frieze from the architrave.
3. Anatomy A ribbonlike band of tissue or muscle.
4. Any of various tapeworms of the genus Taenia, some of which infect humans.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -niae (-nɪˌiː)
1. (Clothing & Fashion) (in ancient Greece) a narrow fillet or headband for the hair
2. (Architecture) architect the fillet between the architrave and frieze of a Doric entablature
3. (Anatomy) anatomy any bandlike structure or part
4. (Animals) any tapeworm of the genus Taenia, such as T. soleum, a parasite of man that uses the pig as its intermediate host
[C16: via Latin from Greek tainia narrow strip; related to Greek teinein to stretch]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or te•ni•a(ˈti ni ə)
n., pl. -ni•ae (-niˌi)
1. a ribbonlike anatomical structure, as certain bands of white nerve fibers in the brain.
[1555–65; < New Latin, Latin < Greek tainía band, ribbon]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||taenia - a narrow headband or strip of ribbon worn as a headband|
headband - a band worn around or over the head; "the earphones were held in place by a headband"
|2.||taenia - tapeworms parasitic in humans which uses the pig as its intermediate host|
cestode, tapeworm - ribbonlike flatworms that are parasitic in the intestines of humans and other vertebrates
genus Taenia - type genus of the family Taeniidae: tapeworms
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Taenian tenia, solitaria
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.