taffrail(redirected from taffrails)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to taffrails: taffrail log
1. The rail around the stern of a ship or boat.
2. The flat, often richly carved upper part of the stern of a wooden ship.
[Alteration of tafferel, carved panel, from Dutch tafereel, panel for carving or painting, from Middle Dutch tafeleel, tafereel, from Old French tablel; see tableau.]
1. (Nautical Terms) a rail at the stern or above the transom of a vessel
2. (Nautical Terms) the upper part of the transom of a vessel, esp a sailing vessel, often ornately decorated
[C19: changed (through influence of rail1) from earlier tafferel, from Dutch taffereel panel (hence applied to the part of a vessel decorated with carved panels), variant of tafeleel (unattested), from tafel table]
1. the upper part of the stern of a ship.
2. a rail above the stern of a ship.
[1805–15; earlier taffarel < Middle Dutch tafereel, variant (by dissimilation) of tafeleel < dial. French tavlel tableau]