Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The part of a millrace below the water wheel through which the spent water flows.
2. A channel for floating away mine tailings and refuse.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Civil Engineering) a channel that carries water away from a water wheel, turbine, etc. Compare headrace
2. (Mining & Quarrying) mining the channel for removing tailings in water
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a channel leading away, as from a waterwheel.
2. a channel for conducting tailings away.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.