turkey(redirected from talked turkey)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
A country of southwest Asia and southeast Europe between the Mediterranean and the Black Seas. The region was dominated by many ancient civilizations and peoples, among them the Hittites (1800 bc), the Greeks (8th century bc), and the Persians (6th century bc), and in ad 395 it became part of the Byzantine Empire. The area was conquered by the Ottoman Turks between the 13th and 15th centuries and remained the core of the Ottoman Empire for more than 600 years. Its modern history dates to the rise of the Young Turks (after 1908) and the collapse of the empire in 1918. Under the leadership of Kemal Atatürk, a republic was proclaimed in 1923. Ankara is the capital and Istanbul the largest city.
n. pl. tur·keysIdiom:
a. A large North American bird (Meleagris gallopavo) that has brownish plumage and a bare wattled head and neck and is widely domesticated for food.
b. The flesh of this bird, used as food.
2. A related bird (Meleagris ocelatta syn. Agriocharis ocellata) of Mexico and Central America, brilliantly colored and having eyelike spots on its tail.
a. A person considered inept or undesirable.
b. A failure, especially a failed theatrical production or movie.
4. Sports Three consecutive strikes in bowling.
talk turkey Informal
To speak frankly about the basic facts of a matter.
[After Turkey from a confusion with the guinea fowl, once believed to have originated in Turkish territory.]
n, pl -keys or -key
1. (Animals) a large gallinaceous bird, Meleagris gallopavo, of North America, having a bare wattled head and neck and a brownish iridescent plumage. The male is brighter and has a fan-shaped tail. A domestic variety is widely bred for its flesh
2. (Cookery) the flesh of the turkey used as food
3. (Animals) a similar and related bird, Agriocharis ocellata (ocellated turkey), of Central and N South America
4. (Animals) any of various Australian birds considered to resemble the turkey, such as the bush turkey
5. slang chiefly
a. a dramatic production that fails; flop
b. a thing or person that fails; dud
6. slang chiefly US and Canadian a stupid, incompetent, or unappealing person
7. (Bowls & Bowling) slang (in tenpin bowling) three strikes in a row
8. (Recreational Drugs) See cold turkey
9. talk turkey informal chiefly US and Canadian to discuss frankly and practically
[C16: shortened from Turkey cock (hen), used at first to designate the African guinea fowl (apparently because the bird was brought through Turkish territory), later applied by mistake to the American bird]
(Placename) a republic in W Asia and SE Europe, between the Black Sea, the Mediterranean, and the Aegean: the centre of the Ottoman Empire; became a republic in 1923. The major Asian part, consisting mainly of an arid plateau, is separated from European Turkey by the Bosporus, Sea of Marmara, and Dardanelles. Languages: Turkish (official), Kurdish, and Arabic minority languages. Religion: Muslim majority. Currency: lira. Capital: Ankara. Pop: 80 694 485 (2013 est). Area: 780 576 sq km (301 380 sq miles)
n., pl. -keys, (esp. collectively) -key.
1. either of two large North American gallinaceous birds of the pheasant family, esp. Meleagris gallopavo, with brownish, iridescent plumage and a bare head and neck: domestic forms now kept in many parts of the world.
2. the flesh of this bird, used as food.
a. a person or thing of little appeal; dud; loser.
b. a naive, stupid, or inept person.
c. a poor and unsuccessful theatrical production; flop.
4. a score of three successive strikes in bowling.Idioms:
talk turkey, Informal. to talk frankly and directly, with the intent of accomplishing something.
[1545–55; short for Turkey cock and Turkey hen, first applied to domesticated guinea fowl, later confused with the New World bird]
- poult - A young domestic fowl (like a turkey) being raised for food.
- meleagrine - The adjective form of turkey.
- wattle - The fleshy part hanging from the neck of a turkey or other bird.
- turkey - Originally the name for African guinea fowl, it eventually became the name for the Western hemisphere fowl with which the earlier fowl was confused; it is short for turkeycock or turkeyhen.
1. the political doctrines and achievements of Kemal Ataturk (1881-1938), Turkish general and statesman.
2. support of or adherence to Ataturk. — Kemalist, n., adj.
2. support of or adherence to Ataturk. — Kemalist, n., adj.
an obsession with Turkey and things Turkish.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||turkey - large gallinaceous bird with fan-shaped tail; widely domesticated for food|
domestic fowl, fowl, poultry - a domesticated gallinaceous bird thought to be descended from the red jungle fowl
|2.||Turkey - a Eurasian republic in Asia Minor and the Balkans; on the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in 1918, the Young Turks, led by Kemal Ataturk, established a republic in 1923|
Dardanelles campaign, Dardanelles - the unsuccessful campaign in World War I (1915) by the English and French to open a passage for aid to Russia; defeated by the Turks
IBDA-C, Islamic Great Eastern Raiders-Front - a Turkish terrorist organization that claimed responsibility for bombing a British consulate and bank in Istanbul; a violent opponent of Turkey's secular government and its ties to the European Union and NATO
Jerusalem Warriors - ethnic Turkish Sunni terrorists who are linked with the Turkish Hizballah; killed a United States Air Force sergeant in 1991
Kurdistan Labor Pary, Kurdistan Workers Party, Partiya Karkeran Kurdistan, PPK - a Marxist-Leninist terrorist group of Kurds trying to establish an independent Kurdish state in eastern Turkey
Revolutionary People's Liberation Front, Revolutionary People's Liberation Party - an extreme Marxist terrorist organization in Turkey that is opposed to NATO and the United States; attacks Turkish security and military officials
Turkish Hizballah - an ethnic Kurdish group of Sunni extremists formed in the late 1980s in southeastern Turkey; seeks to replace Turkey's secular regime with an Islamic state and strict shariah law; responsible for bombings and the torture and murder of Turkish and Kurdish journalists and businessmen; receives support from Iran
NATO, North Atlantic Treaty Organization - an international organization created in 1949 by the North Atlantic Treaty for purposes of collective security
Balkan Peninsula, Balkans - a large peninsula in southeastern Europe containing the Balkan Mountain Range
Middle East, Mideast, Near East - the area around the eastern Mediterranean; from Turkey to northern Africa and eastward to Iran; the site of such ancient civilizations as Phoenicia and Babylon and Egypt and the birthplace of Judaism and Christianity and Islam; had continuous economic and political turmoil in the 20th century; "the Middle East is the cradle of Western civilization"
Adrianople, Adrianopolis, Edirne - a city in northwestern Turkey; a Thracian town that was rebuilt and renamed by the Roman Emperor Hadrian
Kurdistan - an extensive geographical region in the Middle East to the south of the Caucasus
Abydos - an ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles; scene of the legend of Hero and Leander
Angora, Ankara, capital of Turkey, Turkish capital - the capital of Turkey; located in west-central Turkey; it was formerly known as Angora and is the home of Angora goats
Antakiya, Antakya, Antioch - a town in southern Turkey; ancient commercial center and capital of Syria; an early center of Christianity
Canakkale Bogazi, Dardanelles, Hellespont - the strait between the Aegean and the Sea of Marmara that separates European Turkey from Asian Turkey
Halicarnassus - an ancient Greek city on the southwestern coast of Asia Minor in what is now Turkey; site of the mausoleum at Halicarnassus
Constantinople, Istanbul, Stamboul, Stambul - the largest city and former capital of Turkey; rebuilt on the site of ancient Byzantium by Constantine I in the fourth century; renamed Constantinople by Constantine who made it the capital of the Byzantine Empire; now the seat of the Eastern Orthodox Church
Pergamum - an ancient Greek city located in the western part of what is now modern Turkey; the technique of preparing sheepskins as parchment was developed here
Sardis - an ancient Greek city located in the western part of what is now modern Turkey; as the capital of Lydia it was the cultural center of Asia Minor; destroyed by Tamerlane in 1402
Aegospotami, Aegospotamos - a creek emptying into the Hellespont in present-day Turkey; at its mouth in 405 BC the Spartan fleet under Lysander defeated the Athenians and ended the Peloponnesian War
Ararat, Mount Ararat, Mt. Ararat - the mountain peak that Noah's ark landed on as the waters of the great flood receded
Aras, Araxes - a river that rises in northeastern Turkey (near the source of the Euphrates) and flows generally eastward through Armenia to the Caspian Sea; ancient name was Araxes
Bosporus - a strait connecting the Mediterranean and the Black Sea; separates the European and Asian parts of Turkey; an important shipping route
|3.||turkey - a person who does something thoughtless or annoying; "some joker is blocking the driveway"|
|4.||turkey - flesh of large domesticated fowl usually roasted|
poultry - flesh of chickens or turkeys or ducks or geese raised for food
turkey wing - the wing of a turkey
|5.||turkey - an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual; "the first experiment was a real turkey"; "the meeting was a dud as far as new business was concerned"|
gà tâyThổ Nhĩ Kỳ
Turkey[ˈtɜːkɪ] N → Turquía f
A. N (turkey, turkeys (pl))
1. (= bird) → pavo m, guajolote m (Mex), jolote m (CAm), chompipe m (CAm)
to talk turkey (US) → hablar en serio
see also cold
to talk turkey (US) → hablar en serio
see also cold
n → die Türkei
→ Truthahn m → /-henne f; (esp Cook) → Puter m, → Pute f; it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas (esp Brit) → das wäre ja, als wenn die Gänse für Weihnachten stimmten
(esp US inf: Film, Theat: = flop) → Reinfall m (inf)
n → Truthahngeier m
n (esp US fig) → Abschlachten nt
1. a kind of large farmyard bird. kalkoen ديك رومي пуйка peru krocan, krůta der Truthahn kalkun γαλοπούλαpavo kalkun بوقلمون kalkkuna dindon, dinde תַּרנגוֹל הוֹדוּ पीरू puran, pura pulyka kalkun kalkúnn tacchino 七面鳥 칠면조 kalakutas tītars ayam belanda kalkoenkalkunindyk يو ډول مرغه peru curcan индейка moriak, morka puran ćurka kalkon ไก่งวง hindi 火雞 індик; індичка ايک قسم کا مرغ، فيل مرغ gà tây 火鸡
2. its flesh used as food, eaten especially at Christmas or (in the United States) Thanksgiving. We had turkey for dinner. kalkoen لَحْم ديك رومي пуйка peru krůta der Truthahn kalkun γαλοπούλαpavo kalkun(iliha) گوشت بوقلمون kalkkuna dinde בְּשָׂר תַּרנגוֹל הוֹדוּ सुन्दर पर वाले पक्षी से संबंधित अमरीका का बड़ा मुर्ग़े जैसा पक्षी जो खाया जाता है puretina pulyka daging kalkun kalkúnn tacchino 七面鳥 칠면조 고기 kalakutiena tītars; tītara gaļa daging ayam belanda kalkoenkalkunindyk خړتمی چرګ، فیل مرغ peru (carne de) curcan индейка morka puran ćuretina kalkon เนื้อไก่งวง hindi eti 火雞肉 індичатина فيل مرغ کا گوشت thịt gà tây 火鸡肉