Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tamp: tamp down
tr.v. tamped, tamp·ing, tamps
1. To pack down tightly by a succession of blows or taps.
2. To pack clay, sand, or dirt into (a drill hole) above an explosive.
[Perhaps back-formation from tampin, variant of tampion.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. to force or pack down firmly by repeated blows
2. (Mining & Quarrying) to pack sand, earth, etc into (a drill hole) over an explosive
[C17: probably a back formation from tampin (obsolete variant of tampion), which was taken as being a present participle tamping]
1. (tr) to bounce (a ball)
2. (usually foll by: down) to pour with rain
[probably special use of tamp1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to force in or down by repeated, rather light, strokes: to tamp tobacco into a pipe.
2. (in blasting) to fill (a drilled hole) with earth or the like after the charge has been inserted.
[1810–20; perhaps alter. of tampion]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: tamped
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tamp - a tool for tamping (e.g., for tamping tobacco into a pipe bowl or a charge into a drill hole etc.)|
stemmer - a miner's tamping bar for ramming packing in over a blasting charge
tool - an implement used in the practice of a vocation
|Verb||1.||tamp - press down tightly; "tamp the coffee grinds in the container to make espresso"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007