Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
v. tanned, tan·ning, tans
1. To convert (an animal hide) into leather by subjecting it to a chemical process that stabilizes the proteins, making it less susceptible to decay.
a. To make (a person or a person's skin) darker by exposure to the sun.
b. To make (a person or a person's skin) darker by exposure to artificial sunlight or by the application of certain chemicals, often in the form of sprays or lotions.
3. Informal To thrash; beat.
To become darker from exposure to the sun or artificial sunlight, or from the application of certain chemicals.
1. A light or moderate yellowish brown to brownish orange.
a. A suntan.
b. An artificially created suntan.
b. A solution derived from tannin.
adj. tan·ner, tan·nest
1. Light or moderate yellowish-brown to brownish-orange.
2. Having a suntan or the appearance of a suntan.
3. Used in or relating to tanning.
[Middle English tannen, from Old English *tannian, from Medieval Latin tannāre, from tannum, tanbark, probably of Celtic origin.]
n. pl. Tan or Tans