Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several vetches native to Europe.
2. Any of several weedy plants that grow in grain fields.
3. tares An unwelcome or objectionable element.
1. The weight of a container or wrapper that is deducted from the gross weight to obtain net weight.
2. A deduction from gross weight made to allow for the weight of a container.
3. Chemistry A counterbalance, especially an empty vessel used to counterbalance the weight of a similar container.
tr.v. tared, tar·ing, tares
To determine or indicate the tare of, especially to weigh in order to find out the tare.