Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A dark, oily, viscous material, consisting mainly of hydrocarbons, produced by the destructive distillation of organic substances such as wood, coal, or peat.
2. See coal tar.
3. A solid residue of tobacco smoke containing byproducts of combustion.
tr.v. tarred, tar·ring, tarsIdioms:
To coat with or as if with tar.
tar and feather
1. To punish (a person) by covering with tar and feathers.
2. To criticize severely and devastatingly; excoriate.
tarred with the same brush
Considered or described as having the same faults or bad qualities.
[Possibly short for tarpaulin.]
1. (Building) the act of coating something with tar
2. (Civil Engineering) the act of coating something with tar