Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. tawed, taw·ing, taws
To convert (an animal hide) into white leather by treating it with a mixture containing alum and salt.
[Middle English tawen, from Old English tawian, to prepare.]
1. Chiefly Southern US A large, fancy marble used for shooting.
2. The line from which a player shoots in marbles.
3. A game of marbles.
intr.v. tawed, taw·ing, taws
To shoot a marble.
taw 3(täf, tôf)
Variant of tav.
1. (Games, other than specified) the line from which the players shoot in marbles
2. back to taws informal Austral back to the beginning
3. (Games, other than specified) a large marble used for shooting
4. (Games, other than specified) a game of marbles
[C18: of unknown origin]
1. (Tanning) to convert (skins) into white leather by treatment with mineral salts, such as alum and salt, rather than by normal tanning processes
2. archaic or dialect to flog; beat
[Old English tawian; compare Old High German zouwen to prepare, Gothic taujan to make]
1. a playing marble used as a shooter.
2. a game in which marbles are knocked out of a circle drawn on the ground by using a marble as a shooter.
3. Also called taw′ line`. the line from which the players shoot.v.i.
4. to shoot a marble.
1. to prepare or dress (a raw material) for use or further manipulation.
2. to convert (animal skin) into white leather by the application of minerals, emulsions, etc.
3. Archaic. to flog; thrash.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English tawian, akin to Middle Dutch touwen to dress (skins), Old High German zawjan, zowjan to hasten, Runic Norse tawido (he) made, Gothic taujan to do, make; akin to tool, tow2]
taw3(tɑv, tɔv, tɑf, tɔf)
Past participle: tawed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||taw - the 23rd letter of the Hebrew alphabet|
Hebraic alphabet, Hebrew alphabet, Hebrew script - a Semitic alphabet used since the 5th century BC for writing the Hebrew language (and later for writing Yiddish and Ladino)
|2.||taw - a large marble used for shooting in the game of marbles|
marble - a small ball of glass that is used in various games