commissure(redirected from tectal commissure)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A line or place at which two things are joined.
a. A tract of nerve fibers passing from one side to the other of the spinal cord or brain.
b. The point or surface where two parts, such as the eyelids, lips, or cardiac valves, join or form a connection.
3. Botany The surface or place along which two structures, such as carpels, are joined.
[Middle English, from Latin commissūra, from commissus, past participle of committere, to join; see commit.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biology) a band of tissue linking two parts or organs, such as the nervous tissue connecting the right and left sides of the brain in vertebrates
2. (Biology) any of various joints between parts, as between the carpels, leaf lobes, etc, of a plant
[C15: from Latin commissūra a joining together, from committere commit]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
com•mis•sure(ˈkɒm əˌʃʊər, -ˌʃɜr)
1. a joint or seam where two parts meet, as in a bone.
2. a connecting bundle of nerve fibers, esp. one joining the right and left sides of the brain.
[1375–1425; late Middle English (< Middle French) < Latin commissūra=commiss(us) (see commissary) + -ūra -ure]
com•mis•su•ral (kəˈmɪʃ ər əl, ˌkɒm əˈʃʊər əl, -ˈʃɜr-) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||commissure - a bundle of nerve fibers passing from one side to the other of the brain or spinal cord|
nerve pathway, nerve tract, pathway, tract - a bundle of myelinated nerve fibers following a path through the brain
corpus callosum - a broad transverse nerve tract connecting the two cerebral hemispheres
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. comisura, punto de unión de estructuras tal como la unión de los labios.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012