Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. (used with a sing. verb)
1. The study of the earth's structural features.
2. The art or science of construction, especially of large buildings.
n (functioning as singular)
1. (Building) the art and science of construction or building
2. (Geological Science) the study of the processes by which the earth's crust has attained its present structure. See also plate tectonics
n. (used with a sing. v.)
1. the branch of geology that studies structural features of regional extent for the clues they provide regarding diastrophism and its causes.
2. the art of assembling the materials used in construction.
a general term for the theory and techniques of construction. — tectonist, n. — tectonic, adj.See also: Architecture
the study of the structure and behavior of the earth’s crust. — tectonic, adj.See also: Geology
The geological study of large structures such as mountains.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tectonics - the science of architecture |
science, scientific discipline - a particular branch of scientific knowledge; "the science of genetics"
architecture - the discipline dealing with the principles of design and construction and ornamentation of fine buildings; "architecture and eloquence are mixed arts whose end is sometimes beauty and sometimes use"
|2.||tectonics - the branch of geology studying the folding and faulting of the earth's crust|
geomorphology, morphology - the branch of geology that studies the characteristics and configuration and evolution of rocks and land forms