Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
tele-(word root) distant
1. Distance; distant: telesthesia.
a. Telegraph: telegram.
b. Telephone: telemarketing.
c. Television: telecast.
tele-or before a vowel
1. at or over a distance; distant: telescope; telegony; telekinesis; telemeter.
2. (Broadcasting) television: telecast.
3. (Telecommunications) by means of or via telephone or television
[from Greek tele far]
1. a combining form meaning “reaching over a distance,” “carried out between two remote points,” “performed or operating through electronic transmissions”: telegraph; telekinesis; teletypewriter.
2. a combining form representing television: telegenic; telethon.Also, esp. before a vowel, tel-.
[comb. form representing Greek têle far, akin to télos end (see teleo-)]
var. of teleo- before a vowel: teleost.
A prefix that means "at a distance," as in telemetry.