Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to telex: telex machine
1. A communications system consisting of teletypewriters connected to a telephonic network to send and receive signals.
2. A message sent or received by such a system.
tr.v. tel·exed, tel·ex·ing, tel·ex·es
To send (a message) by telex.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Telecommunications) an international telegraph service in which teleprinters are rented out to subscribers for the purpose of direct communication
2. (Telecommunications) a teleprinter used in such a service
3. (Telecommunications) a message transmitted or received by telex
(Telecommunications) to transmit (a message) to (a person, office, etc) by telex
[C20: from tel(eprinter) ex(change)]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (sometimes cap.) a two-way teletypewriter service channeled through a public telecommunications system for direct communication between subscribers at remote locations.
2. a message transmitted by telex.v.t.
3. to send (a message) by telex.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: telexed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
A quick form of communication and an advance on simple telegraph systems. It transmits a message from one machine to a similar one anywhere in the world at about 100 words per minute.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||telex - a character printer connected to a telegraph that operates like a typewriter|
|Verb||1.||telex - communicate by telex; "We telexed the information to our sister company"|
telecommunicate - communicate over long distances, as via the telephone or e-mail
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. n → telex m inv
2. vi → mandare un telex
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995