Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to telex: telex machine
1. A communications system consisting of teletypewriters connected to a telephonic network to send and receive signals.
2. A message sent or received by such a system.
tr.v. tel·exed, tel·ex·ing, tel·ex·es
To send (a message) by telex.
1. (Telecommunications) an international telegraph service in which teleprinters are rented out to subscribers for the purpose of direct communication
2. (Telecommunications) a teleprinter used in such a service
3. (Telecommunications) a message transmitted or received by telex
(Telecommunications) to transmit (a message) to (a person, office, etc) by telex
[C20: from tel(eprinter) ex(change)]
1. (sometimes cap.) a two-way teletypewriter service channeled through a public telecommunications system for direct communication between subscribers at remote locations.
2. a message transmitted by telex.v.t.
3. to send (a message) by telex.
Past participle: telexed
A quick form of communication and an advance on simple telegraph systems. It transmits a message from one machine to a similar one anywhere in the world at about 100 words per minute.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||telex - a character printer connected to a telegraph that operates like a typewriter|
|Verb||1.||telex - communicate by telex; "We telexed the information to our sister company"|
telecommunicate - communicate over long distances, as via the telephone or e-mail