bead(redirected from tell beads)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to tell beads: lugger
a. A small, often round piece of material, such as glass, plastic, or wood, that is pierced for stringing or threading.
b. beads A necklace made of such pieces.
c. beads Roman Catholic Church A rosary.
d. often beads Obsolete A prayer.
2. A small, round object, especially:
a. A drop of moisture: beads of sweat.
b. A bubble of gas in a liquid.
c. A small metal knob on the muzzle of a firearm, such as a rifle, used for sighting.
3. A strip of material, usually wood, with one molded edge placed flush against the inner part of a door or window frame.
a. A decoration consisting of a usually continuous series of small spherical shapes, as on a convex molding.
5. A projecting rim or lip, as on a pneumatic tire.
6. A line of continuously applied ductile material, such as solder or caulking compound.
7. Chemistry A globule of fused borax or other flux used in a bead test.
tr. & intr.v. bead·ed, bead·ing, beadsIdiom:
To furnish with or collect into beads.
draw/get a bead on
To take careful aim at.
1. (Crafts) a small usually spherical piece of glass, wood, plastic, etc, with a hole through it by means of which it may be strung with others to form a necklace, etc
2. a small drop of moisture: a bead of sweat.
3. a small bubble in or on a liquid
4. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a small metallic knob acting as the sight of a firearm
5. (Shooting) draw a bead on to aim a rifle or pistol at
6. (Architecture) architect carpentry Also called: astragal a small convex moulding having a semicircular cross section
7. (Chemistry) chem a small solid globule made by fusing a powdered sample with borax or a similar flux on a platinum wire. The colour of the globule serves as a test for the presence of certain metals (bead test)
8. (Metallurgy) metallurgy a deposit of welding metal on the surface of a metal workpiece, often used to examine the structure of the weld zone
9. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church one of the beads of a rosary
10. (Roman Catholic Church) count one's beads say one's beads tell one's beads to pray with a rosary
11. (Crafts) (tr) to decorate with beads
12. to form into beads or drops
[Old English bed prayer; related to Old High German gibet prayer]
1. a small, usu. round object of glass, wood, stone, or the like with a hole through it, often strung with others of its kind in necklaces, rosaries, etc.
a. a necklace of beads.
b. a rosary.
3. any small globular or cylindrical body, as a drop of liquid or a bubble in an effervescent liquid: beads of sweat.
4. the front sight of a rifle or gun.
5. a reinforced area of a rubber tire.
6. a small molding having a convex circular section and, usu., a continuous cylindrical surface; astragal.
7. a continuous deposit of fused metal formed by arc welding.v.t.
8. to ornament with beads.
9. to form beads or a bead on.v.i.
10. to form beads; form in beads or drops.Idioms:
draw or get a bead on, to take careful aim at (a target).
[before 900; Middle English bede prayer, prayer bead, Old English bed-, gebed, prayer]
Past participle: beaded
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bead - a small ball with a hole through the middle|
bugle - a tubular glass or plastic bead sewn onto clothing for decoration
|2.||bead - a shape that is spherical and small; "he studied the shapes of low-viscosity drops"; "beads of sweat on his forehead"|
sphere - a solid figure bounded by a spherical surface (including the space it encloses)
dewdrop - a drop of dew
teardrop - anything shaped like a falling drop (as a pendant gem on an earring)
|3.||bead - a beaded molding for edging or decorating furniture|
|Verb||1.||bead - form into beads, as of water or sweat, for example|
form - assume a form or shape; "the water formed little beads"
|2.||bead - decorate by sewing beads onto; "bead the wedding gown"|
|3.||bead - string together like beads|
jagodakroglica na ogrlici
a little ball of glass etc strung with others in a necklace etc. She's wearing two strings of wooden beads. kraal, kraletjie خَرَزَه мънисто conta korálek die Perle perle χάντραcuenta helmes دانه؛ مهره helmi perleחרוז गुटका माला का दाना zrno, biser, kap (üveg)gyöngy manik-manik perla perlina ビーズ玉 구슬 karoliukas kreļļu virtene; krelles manik kraalperlekoralik مرۍ، موشكڼې، د مرۍ دانه، تسبيح conta mărgea; perlă бусина koráľ kroglica (na ogrlici) perla pärla ลูกปัด boncuk; tesbih vb.tanesi 小珠子 намистина تسبیح یا ہار کے دانے hạt 小球，小珠子ˈbeady adjective
(of eyes) small and bright. the beady eyes of the bird. kraalagtig (kraaloog) خَرَزي الشَّكْل като мънисто como contas korálkovitý klein und glänzend stikkende μικρός και λαμπερός, μπιρμπιλωτός (για μάτια) como cuentas, pequeño y brillante nööpsilmaline کوچک و براق nappisilmäinen vrille עֵינָיִים קטָנוֹת וְנוֹצצוֹת छोटी चमकदार malen i sjajan gyöngyszerű kecil dan terang seperti manik-manik lítill og glitrandi (piccolo e luccicante) ビーズのような 작고 둥글면 반짝거리는 kaip karoliukas (par acīm) mazs un apaļš kecil bulat dan bercahaya kraal- små, stikkende paciorkowaty كوچني او ځلاند como contas ca mărgeaua как бусинка korálikový predirljiv sjajan pärlformig, liten och lysande (ตา) เล็กและสดใส küçük ve parlak 小而亮的 схожий на намистину چمکدار ، روشن tròn nhỏ và sáng 小而亮的