Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A painting medium in which pigment is mixed with water-soluble glutinous materials such as size or egg yolk. Also called poster color, poster paint.
2. Painting done in this medium.
[Italian, from temperare, to mingle, from Latin temperāre; see temper.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) a painting medium for powdered pigments, consisting usually of egg yolk and water
2. (Art Terms)
a. any emulsion used as a painting medium, with casein, glue, wax, etc, as a base
b. the paint made from mixing this with pigment
3. (Art Terms) the technique of painting with tempera
[C19: from Italian phrase pingere a tempera painting in tempera, from temperare to mingle; see temper]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
tem•per•a(ˈtɛm pər ə)
n., pl. -per•as.
1. a technique of painting in which an emulsion consisting of water and pure egg yolk or a mixture of egg and oil is used as a binder or medium, characterized by its lean film-forming properties and rapid drying rate.
2. a painting executed in this technique.
3. a water paint used in this technique in which the egg-based emulsion is used as a binder. Compare distemper 2 (defs. 1, 2).
[1825–35; < Italian, short for (pingere a) tempera (painting in) distemper, derivative of temperare to mingle; see temper]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A paint medium made by mixing color pigments with substances such as egg white, egg yolk, glue, gelatine, or casein. True tempera is when the colors are ground with egg yolk only. The medium was largely supplanted in the fifteenth century by oil paint.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tempera - pigment mixed with water-soluble glutinous materials such as size and egg yolk|
water-base paint - paint in which water is used as the vehicle
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007