Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An area of land; ground: climbed a tree to view the surrounding terrain.
b. A particular geographic area; a region: a guide who knows this terrain well.
2. The surface features of an area of land; topography: boots designed for rugged terrain.
3. (also tĕr′ān) Variant of terrane.
[French, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *terrānum, alteration of Latin terrēnum, from neuter of terrēnus, of the earth; see terrene.]
1. ground or a piece of ground, esp with reference to its physical character or military potential: radio reception can be difficult in mountainous terrain; a rocky terrain.
2. (Geological Science) a variant spelling of terrane
[C18: from French, ultimately from Latin terrēnum ground, from terra earth]
1. a tract of land, esp. as considered with reference to its features.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||terrain - a piece of ground having specific characteristics or military potential; "they decided to attack across the rocky terrain"|
1. The character, natural features, and configuration of land:
Idiom: the lay of the land.
2. A sphere of activity, experience, study, or interest:
area, arena, bailiwick, circle, department, domain, field, orbit, province, realm, scene, subject, territory, world.