terrestrial(redirected from terrestrial link)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to the earth or its inhabitants.
2. Biology Living or growing on land or on or in the ground; not aquatic, arboreal, or epiphytic: terrestrial mammals; terrestrial apes; terrestrial orchids.
3. Astronomy Similar to the planet earth in size or composition: terrestrial planets.
4. Transmitted from structures on the earth and not involving satellites: terrestrial radio.
5. Archaic Of or relating to the earth rather than heaven.
An inhabitant of the earth.
1. of or relating to the earth
2. of or belonging to the land as opposed to the sea or air
3. (Biology) (of animals and plants) living or growing on the land
4. earthly, worldly, or mundane
5. (Broadcasting) (of television signals) sent over the earth's surface from a transmitter on land, rather than by satellite
an inhabitant of the earth
[C15: from Latin terrestris, from terra earth]
ter•res•tri•al(təˈrɛs tri əl)
1. pertaining to, consisting of, or representing the earth as distinct from other planets.
2. of or pertaining to land as distinct from water.
a. growing or living on land or on the ground; not aquatic, arboreal, etc.
b. growing in the ground; not epiphytic or aerial.
4. of or pertaining to the earth or this world; worldly; mundane.n.
5. an inhabitant of the earth, esp. a human being.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Latin terrestri(s) pertaining to earth (derivative of terra earth) + -al1]
syn: See earthly.
1. Relating to the Earth or its inhabitants.
2. Relating to, consisting of, living on, or growing on land.
Describes plants that grow in the soil.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||terrestrial - of or relating to or inhabiting the land as opposed to the sea or air|
|2.||terrestrial - of or relating to or characteristic of the planet Earth or its inhabitants; "planetary rumblings and eructations"- L.C.Eiseley ; "the planetary tilt"; "this terrestrial ball"|
|3.||terrestrial - operating or living or growing on land|
amphibious - operating or living on land and in water; "amphibious vehicles"; "amphibious operations"; "amphibious troops"; "frogs are amphibious animals"
aquatic - operating or living or growing in water; "boats are aquatic vehicles"; "water lilies are aquatic plants"; "fish are aquatic animals"
|4.||terrestrial - concerned with the world or worldly matters; "mundane affairs"; "he developed an immense terrestrial practicality"|
|5.||terrestrial - of this earth; "transcendental motives for sublunary actions"; "fleeting sublunary pleasures"; "the nearest to an angelic being that treads this terrestrial ball"|
earthly - of or belonging to or characteristic of this earth as distinguished from heaven; "earthly beings"; "believed that our earthly life is all that matters"; "earthly love"; "our earthly home"
(= of land) → Land-; terrestrial animal → Landtier nt, → auf dem Land lebendes Tier; terrestrial plant → Landpflanze f
(= of the planet Earth) → terrestrisch, irdisch; life → irdisch; (Brit) TV channel, television, broadcasting → terrestrisch; terrestrial globe → Erdball m, → Globus m
n → Erdbewohner(in) m(f)