tete-a-tete(redirected from tete-a-tetes)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
adv. & adj.
Without the intrusion of a third person; in intimate privacy: talk tête-à-tête; a tête-à-tête supper.
1. A private conversation between two persons.
2. A sofa for two, especially an S-shaped one allowing the occupants to face each other.
[French : tête, head (from Late Latin testa, skull; see teston) + à, to + tête, head.]
n, pl -têtes or -tête
a. a private conversation between two people
b. (as modifier): a tête-à-tête conversation.
2. (Furniture) a small sofa for two people, esp one that is S-shaped in plan so that the sitters are almost face to face
intimately; in private
[C17: from French, literally: head to head]
tête-à-tête(ˈteɪt əˈteɪt, ˈtɛt əˈtɛt)
n., pl. tête-à-têtes,
adj., adv. n.
1. a private conversation or interview, usu. between two people.
2. Also called vis-à-vis. a small sofa shaped like an Sso that two people can converse face to face.adj.
3. of, between, or for two persons together without others.adv.
4. (of two persons) together in private: to sit tête-à-tête.
[1690–1700; < French: literally, head to head]
1. A French phrase meaning head to head, used to mean an intimate conversation or meeting between two people.
2. An S-shaped sofa allowing two people to face each other when seated.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tete-a-tete - a private conversation between two people|
conversation - the use of speech for informal exchange of views or ideas or information etc.
pillow talk - intimate conversation between lovers (typically occurring in bed)
|2.||tete-a-tete - small sofa that seats two people|
|Adj.||1.||tete-a-tete - involving two persons; intimately private; "a tete-a-tete supper"; "a head-to-head conversation"|
private - confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy; "a private place"; "private discussions"; "private lessons"; "a private club"; "a private secretary"; "private property"; "the former President is now a private citizen"; "public figures struggle to maintain a private life"