thalassic(redirected from thalassicly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to seas or oceans, especially smaller or inland seas.
[French thalassique, from Greek thalassa, sea.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) of or relating to the sea
2. (Physical Geography) of or relating to small or inland seas, as opposed to open waters
3. (Biology) inhabiting or growing in the sea; marine: thalassic fauna.
[C19: from French thalassique, from Greek thalassa sea]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to seas and oceans.
2. of or pertaining to smaller bodies of water, as seas and gulfs, as distinguished from oceans.
3. growing, living, or found in the sea; marine.
[1855–60; < Greek thálass(a) sea + -ic]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||thalassic - relating to the seas, especially smaller or inland seas; "deposits of sediment in gulfs and seas rather than in the ocean proper are known as thalassic deposits"- Scientific American|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.