psalm(redirected from the Psalms)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A sacred song; a hymn.
2. Psalms(used with a sing. verb) See Table at Bible.
tr.v. psalmed, psalm·ing, psalms
To sing of or celebrate in psalms.
1. (Bible) (often capital) any of the 150 sacred songs, lyric poems, and prayers that together constitute a book (Psalms) of the Old Testament
2. (Bible) a musical setting of one of these poems
3. (Music, other) a musical setting of one of these poems
4. (Music, other) any sacred song or hymn
5. (Ecclesiastical Terms) any sacred song or hymn
[Old English, from Late Latin psalmus, from Greek psalmos song accompanied on the harp, from psallein to play (the harp)]
1. a sacred song or hymn.
2. (cap.) any of the songs, hymns, or prayers contained in the Book of Psalms.
[before 900; Middle English s(e)alm(e), Old English ps(e)alm < Late Latin psalmus < Greek psalmós song sung to the harp, derivative of psállein to pluck, play (the harp)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Psalm - one of the 150 lyrical poems and prayers that comprise the Book of Psalms in the Old Testament; said to have been written by David|
Old Testament - the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible
|2.||psalm - any sacred song used to praise the deity|
|Verb||1.||psalm - sing or celebrate in psalms; "He psalms the works of God"|
music - musical activity (singing or whistling etc.); "his music was his central interest"
sing - produce tones with the voice; "She was singing while she was cooking"; "My brother sings very well"
psalm[sɑːm] N → salmo m
psalm[ˈsɑːm] n → psaume m
psalm[sɑːm] n → salmo
a sacred song, especially one from the Book of Psalms in the Bible. psalm مَزْمور псалм salmo žalm der Psalm salme ψαλμόςsalmo kirikulaul, psalm سرود مذهبی psalmi psaumeמזמור भजन zsoltár mazmur sálmur salmo 賛美歌 성가, 찬송가 psalmė, giesmė psalms psalm psalmsalme psalm دينى يا مذهبى سرود salmo psalm псалом žalm hvalospev psalm psalm เพลงสวด ilâhi 聖歌 псалом مناجات، بھجن bài thánh ca 圣歌