Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An often repeated song in a musical play that is identified with the work or one of its characters.
2. A song that is identified with a performer, group, or radio or television program.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Music, other) a melody used, esp in a film score, to set a mood, introduce a character, etc
2. (Music, other) another term for signature tune
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a song or melody in an operetta or musical comedy so emphasized by repetition as to dominate the presentation.
2. a song or melody used as a signature.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||theme song - a melody used to identify a performer or a dance band or radio/tv program|
|2.||theme song - a melody that recurs and comes to represent a musical play or movie|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.