thickening(redirected from thickenings)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. The act or process of making or becoming thick.
2. Material used to thicken: stir in a thickening of flour and water.
3. A thickened part.
1. something added to a liquid to thicken it
2. a thickened part or piece
thick•en•ing(ˈθɪk ə nɪŋ)
1. the act of making or becoming thick.
2. a thickened part or area; swelling.
3. something used to thicken; thickener.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thickening - any material used to thicken; "starch is used in cooking as a thickening"|
|2.||thickening - any thickened enlargement|
|3.||thickening - the act of thickening|
|Adj.||1.||thickening - accumulating and becoming more intense; "the deepening gloom"; "felt a deepening love"; "the thickening dusk"|
intensifying - increasing in strength or intensity
|2.||thickening - becoming more intricate or complex; "a thickening plot"|
complex - complicated in structure; consisting of interconnected parts; "a complex set of variations based on a simple folk melody"; "a complex mass of diverse laws and customs"