Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of numerous often weedy plants of several genera of the composite family, including Cirsium, Carduus, and Onopordum, having prickly leaves and floral bracts.
2. Any of various other prickly plants, such as Russian thistle.
1. (Plants) any of numerous plants of the genera Cirsium,Carduus, and related genera, having prickly-edged leaves, pink, purple, yellow, or white dense flower heads, and feathery hairs on the seeds: family Asteraceae (composites)
2. (Heraldry) a thistle, or a representation of one, as the national emblem of Scotland
[Old English thīstel, related to Old Saxon, Old High German thīstil, Old Norse thīstill]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) See Order of the Thistle
2. (Heraldry) (sometimes not capital)
a. the emblem of this Order
b. membership of this Order
1. any of various prickly composite plants usu. having showy purple flower heads, esp. of the genera Cirsium, Carduus, and Onopordum.
2. any of various other prickly plants.
[before 900; Middle English thistel, Old English, c. Old Saxon thīstil, Old High German distil, Old Norse thistill]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thistle - any of numerous plants of the family Compositae and especially of the genera Carduus and Cirsium and Onopordum having prickly-edged leaves|
aster family, Asteraceae, Compositae, family Asteraceae, family Compositae - plants with heads composed of many florets: aster; daisy; dandelion; goldenrod; marigold; lettuces; ragweed; sunflower; thistle; zinnia
Carduus crispus, welted thistle - European biennial introduced in North America having flower heads in crowded clusters at ends of branches
Carduus nutans, musk thistle, nodding thistle - Eurasian perennial naturalized in eastern North America having very spiny white cottony foliage and nodding musky crimson flower heads; valuable source of nectar
carline thistle - a thistle of the genus Carlina
plume thistle, plumed thistle - any of numerous biennial to perennial herbs with handsome purple or yellow or occasionally white flower heads
Cirsium helenioides, Cirsium heterophylum, melancholy thistle - perennial stoloniferous thistle of northern Europe with lanceolate basal leaves and usually solitary heads of reddish-purple flowers
Cnicus benedictus, sweet sultan, blessed thistle - annual of Mediterranean to Portugal having hairy stems and minutely spiny-toothed leaves and large heads of yellow flowers
cotton thistle, Onopordon acanthium, Onopordum acanthium, Scotch thistle, woolly thistle - biennial Eurasian white hairy thistle having pale purple flowers; naturalized in North America
golden thistle - any of several spiny Mediterranean herbs of the genus Scolymus having yellow flower heads
weed - any plant that crowds out cultivated plants
thistle[ˈθɪsl] N → cardo m
thistle[ˈθɪsəl] n → chardon m
n → Distel f
thistle[ˈθɪsl] n → cardo
a type of prickly plant with purple flowers, which grows in fields etc. dissel شَوْك магарешки бодил tojo bodlák die Distel tidsel γαϊδουράγκαθοcardo ohakas خاربن ohdake chardonדרדר कांटेदार पौधा čičak bogáncs tumbuhan berduri þistill cardo あざみ 엉겅퀴 dagys dadzis tumbuhan berduri dgn bunga berwarna ungu disteltisteloset يوډول جګ اغزن بوټى tojo ciulin чертополох bodliak osat čičak tistel พืชไม้มีหนามจำพวก Cirsium, Carduus, Onopordum deve dikeni 薊 будяк, чортополох ايک خار دار پودا cây kế 蓟