Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to thoroughbred: thoroughbred racing
thor·ough·bred(thûr′ō-brĕd′, thûr′ə-, thŭr′-)
1. A purebred or pedigreed animal, especially a horse.
2. Thoroughbred Any of a breed of horses, bred chiefly for racing, originating from crosses between Arabian stallions and English mares.
3. A well-bred person.
1. Bred of pure stock; purebred.
2. Thoroughbred Relating or belonging to horses of the Thoroughbred.
3. Thoroughly trained or educated; well-bred.
1. (Breeds) a pedigree animal; purebred
2. a person regarded as being of good breeding
(Breeds) a British breed of horse the ancestry of which can be traced to English mares and Arab sires; most often used as a racehorse
thor•ough•bred(ˈθɜr əˌbrɛd, ˈθʌr-)
1. of pure or unmixed breed or stock, as a horse; purebred.
2. (often cap.) of or pertaining to the Thoroughbred breed of horses.
3. (of a person) well-bred or well-educated.n.
4. (usu. cap.) one of a breed of horses, to which all racehorses belong, orig. developed in England by crossing Arabian stallions with European mares.
5. a thoroughbred animal.
6. a well-bred or well-educated person.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thoroughbred - a well-bred person|
|2.||thoroughbred - a racehorse belonging to a breed that originated from a cross between Arabian stallions and English mares|
|3.||thoroughbred - a pedigreed animal of unmixed lineage; used especially of horses|
|Adj.||1.||thoroughbred - having a list of ancestors as proof of being a purebred animal|
purebred - bred for many generations from member of a recognized breed or strain