Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to thrush: Oral thrush
Any of numerous migratory songbirds of the widely distributed family Turdidae, usually having brownish upper plumage and a spotted breast and noted for a clear melodious song.
[Middle English thrushe, from Old English thrysce.]
1. A contagious disease caused by a fungus, Candida albicans, that occurs most often in infants and children, characterized by small whitish eruptions on the mouth, throat, and tongue, and usually accompanied by fever, colic, and diarrhea.
2. An infection of the frog of a horse's foot, characterized by a foul-smelling discharge and often resulting from unhygienic stall conditions.
[Probably of Scandinavian origin.]
(Animals) any songbird of the subfamily Turdinae, esp those having a brown plumage with a spotted breast, such as the mistle thrush and song thrush: family Muscicapidae. Compare water thrush
[Old English thrӯsce; related to Old High German drōsca; see throstle, throat]
a. a fungal disease of the mouth, esp of infants, and the genitals, characterized by the formation of whitish spots and caused by infection with the fungus Candida albicans
b. another word for sprue1
2. (Veterinary Science) a softening of the frog of a horse's hoof characterized by degeneration and a thick foul discharge
[C17: related to Old Danish törsk, Danish troske]
1. any of various typically dull-plumaged songbirds of the subfamily Turdinae (family Muscicapidae), of nearly worldwide distribution: many species are outstanding singers.
2. any of various superficially similar birds, as the waterthrushes.
3. Older Slang. a female singer.
[before 900; Middle English thrusche, Old English thrȳsce, c. Old High German drōsca]
1. a disease of the mouth characterized by a whitish growth and ulcerations, caused by a fungus of the genus Candida, esp. C albicans.
2. (in horses) a diseased condition of the frog of the foot.
[1655–65; akin to Dan tröske, Swedish torsk]
A fungal infection that can affect the genital area.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thrush - candidiasis of the oral cavity; seen mostly in infants or debilitated adults|
|2.||thrush - a woman who sings popular songs|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|3.||thrush - songbirds characteristically having brownish upper plumage with a spotted breast|
family Turdidae, Turdidae - thrushes; in some classifications considered a subfamily (Turdinae) of the family Muscicapidae
missel thrush, mistle thrush, mistletoe thrush, Turdus viscivorus - large European thrush that feeds on mistletoe berries
European blackbird, merl, merle, ousel, ouzel, Turdus merula, blackbird - common black European thrush
ring blackbird, ring ouzel, ring thrush, Turdus torquatus - European thrush common in rocky areas; the male has blackish plumage with a white band around the neck
American robin, Turdus migratorius, robin - large American thrush having a rust-red breast and abdomen
Hylocichla fuscescens, veery, Wilson's thrush - tawny brown North American thrush noted for its song
Hylocichla mustelina, wood thrush - large thrush common in eastern American woodlands; noted for its melodious song
solitaire - a dull grey North American thrush noted for its beautiful song
wheatear - small songbird of northern America and Eurasia having a distinctive white rump
bluebird - blue North American songbird
Erithacus rubecola, Old World robin, redbreast, robin, robin redbreast - small Old World songbird with a reddish breast
thrush→ سُمْنَة drozd drossel Drossel τσίχλα tordo rastas grive kandida tordo ツグミ 개똥지빠귀 lijster trost drozd tordo дрозд trast นกขนาดเล็กมีเสียงไพเราะ ardıç kuşu chim hét 画眉
n. muguet, afta, infección fungosa de la mucosa oral que se manifiesta con placas blancas en la cavidad bucal y la garganta.