Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A screw designed so that it can be turned with the thumb and fingers.
2. An instrument of torture formerly used to compress the thumb.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) an instrument of torture that pinches or crushes the thumbs
2. (Tools) a screw with projections on its head enabling it to be turned by the thumb and forefinger
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a screw having a flat head that may be turned easily with the thumb and forefinger.
2. an old instrument of torture by which one or both thumbs were compressed.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thumbscrew - instrument of torture that crushes the thumb|
instrument of torture - an instrument of punishment designed and used to inflict torture on the condemned person
|2.||thumbscrew - screw designed to be turned with the thumb and fingers|
screw - a fastener with a tapered threaded shank and a slotted head
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
thumbscrew[ˈθʌmskruː] N → empulgueras fpl
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
thumbscrewthumb screw [ˈθʌmskruː] n (= torture device) → poucettes fpl
to put the thumbscrews on sb (= put under extreme pressure) → mettre à qn le couteau sous la gorge
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
thumbscrew[ˈθʌmˌskruː] n (instrument of torture) strumento di tortura con cui si schiacciano i pollici (Tech) → vite f con testa ad alette
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995