Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A screw designed so that it can be turned with the thumb and fingers.
2. An instrument of torture formerly used to compress the thumb.
1. (Historical Terms) an instrument of torture that pinches or crushes the thumbs
2. (Tools) a screw with projections on its head enabling it to be turned by the thumb and forefinger
1. a screw having a flat head that may be turned easily with the thumb and forefinger.
2. an old instrument of torture by which one or both thumbs were compressed.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thumbscrew - instrument of torture that crushes the thumb|
instrument of torture - an instrument of punishment designed and used to inflict torture on the condemned person
|2.||thumbscrew - screw designed to be turned with the thumb and fingers|
screw - a fastener with a tapered threaded shank and a slotted head