time-out(redirected from timeout)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
time-outor time·out (tīm′out′)
1. Sports A brief cessation of play at the request of a sports team or an official for rest, consultation, or making substitutions.
2. A short break from work or play.
a. A corrective measure or punishment for young children in which they are separated from others for a brief period.
b. The place, especially a chair, used for such a measure or punishment.
1. (General Sporting Terms) sport an interruption in play during which players rest, discuss tactics, or make substitutions
2. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a break taken during working hours
3. (Computer Science) computing a condition occurring when the amount of time a computer has been instructed to wait for another device to perform a task has expired, usually indicated by an error message
(Computer Science) (intr) (of a computer) to stop operating because of a time-out
n., pl. -outs.
1. a brief suspension of activity; break.
2. an interruption of play in a sports contest.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||time-out - a brief suspension of play; "each team has two time-outs left"|
athletic game - a game involving athletic activity