Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
adj. tin·ni·er, tin·ni·est
1. Of, containing, or yielding tin.
2. Tasting or smelling of tin: tinny canned food.
3. Having a thin metallic sound: a high tinny voice.
4. Weak or thin; flimsy.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
adj, -nier or -niest
1. of, relating to, or resembling tin
2. cheap, badly made, or shoddy
3. (of a sound) high, thin, and metallic
4. (Cookery) (of food or drink) flavoured with metal, as from a container
5. informal Austral lucky
n, pl -nies
6. slang Austral a can of beer
7. (Nautical Terms) informal Also: tinnie Austral a small fishing or pleasure boat with an aluminium hull
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
adj. -ni•er, -ni•est.
1. of or like tin.
2. containing tin.
3. lacking in timbre or resonance: a tinny piano.
5. tasting of tin.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||tinny - of or containing tin|
|2.||tinny - of very poor quality; flimsy|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
inferior - of low or inferior quality
|3.||tinny - thin and metallic in sound; lacking resonance; "an unpleasant tinny voice"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. jangling, thin, metallic, jingling, jangly, jingly, plinky the tinny sound of a radio playing a pop song
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
tinny[ˈtɪnɪ] ADJ (tinnier (compar) (tinniest (superl)))
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
tinny[ˈtɪni] adj [sound] → métalliquetin-opener tin opener [ˈtɪnəʊpənər] n (British) → ouvre-boîte m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
tinny[ˈtɪnɪ] adj (-ier (comp) (-iest (superl))) (metallic, sound) → metallico/a (pej) (car, machine) → che sembra di latta
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995