Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to tinting: tinting strength
1. A shade of a color, especially a pale or delicate variation.
2. A gradation of a color made by adding white to it to lessen its saturation.
3. A barely detectable amount or degree; a trace.
4. A shaded effect in engraving produced by fine, close, parallel lines.
5. Printing A panel of light color on which matter in another color is to be printed, as in an illustration.
6. A dye for the hair.
tr. & intr.v. tint·ed, tint·ing, tints
To give a tint to or take on a tint.
[Alteration of tinct.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.