scissors(redirected from toenail scissors)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. scis·sored, scis·sor·ing, scis·sors
To cut or clip with scissors or shears.
1. scissors(used with a sing. or pl. verb) A cutting implement consisting of two blades joined by a swivel pin that allows the cutting edges to be opened and closed.
2. scissors(used with a sing. verb) Sports
a. Any of various gymnastic exercises or jumps in which the movement of the legs suggests the opening and closing of scissors.
b. A scissors hold.
1. Also called: pair of scissors a cutting instrument used for cloth, hair, etc, having two crossed pivoted blades that cut by a shearing action, with ring-shaped handles at one end
2. (Wrestling) a wrestling hold in which a wrestler wraps his legs round his opponent's body or head, locks his feet together, and squeezes
3. (Gymnastics) any gymnastic or athletic feat in which the legs cross and uncross in a scissor-like movement
4. (Athletics (Track & Field)) athletics a technique in high-jumping, now little used, in which the legs perform a scissor-like movement in clearing the bar
[C14 sisoures, from Old French cisoires, from Vulgar Latin cīsōria (unattested), ultimately from Latin caedere to cut; see chisel]
1. (used with a sing. or pl. v.) a cutting instrument for paper, cloth, etc., consisting of two blades, each having a ring-shaped handle, that are so pivoted together that their sharp edges work one against the other (often used with pair of).
2. (used with a sing. v.)
a. any of several gymnastic feats in which the legs execute a scissorlike motion.
b. a wrestling hold secured by clasping the legs around the body or head of the opponent.
[1350–1400; Middle English cisoures, sisoures < Middle French cisoires < Vulgar Latin *cīsōria, pl. of Late Latin cīsōrium cutting tool (see chisel)]
Scissors are a small tool consisting of two sharp blades joined together, used for cutting things such as paper, cloth, or hair.
Scissors is a plural noun. Don't talk about 'a scissors'. Instead say some scissors or a pair of scissors.
I need some scissors to get this label off.
She took a pair of scissors and cut his hair.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scissors - an edge tool having two crossed pivoting blades|
blade - the flat part of a tool or weapon that (usually) has a cutting edge
clipper - scissors for cutting hair or finger nails (often used in the plural)
compound lever - a pair of levers hinged at the fulcrum
edge tool - any cutting tool with a sharp cutting edge (as a chisel or knife or plane or gouge)
shears - large scissors with strong blades
snuffers - scissors for cropping and holding the snuff of a candlewick
|2.||scissors - a wrestling hold in which you wrap your legs around the opponents body or head and put your feet together and squeeze|
wrestling hold - a hold used in the sport of wrestling
|3.||scissors - a gymnastic exercise performed on the pommel horse when the gymnast moves his legs as the blades of scissors move|
gymnastic exercise - (gymnastics) an exercise designed to develop and display strength and agility and balance (usually performed with or on some gymnastic apparatus)
scissors(ˈsizəz) noun plural
a type of cutting instrument with two blades. a pair of scissors. skêr مِقَص ножици tesoura nůžky die Schere saks ψαλίδιtijeras käärid قيچي sakset ciseauxמספריים कैंची, करतनी škare olló gunting skæri forbici はさみ 가위 žirklės šķēres gunting schaarsaksnożyczki بياتى، قيچي، غيچي، كينچي tesoura foarfece ножницы nožnice škarje makaze sax กรรไกร makas 剪刀 ножиці قینچی cái kéo 剪刀
scissors→ مِقَصّ nůžky saks Schere ψαλίδι tijeras sakset ciseaux škare forbici はさみ 가위 schaar saks nożyce tesoura ножницы sax กรรไกร makas kéo 剪刀
n., pl. tijeras.