Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
One that tones, as:
a. A chemical bath used to change the color of a photographic print or to preserve black-and-white prints or movie film.
b. A powdery ink used dry or suspended in a liquid to produce a document by means of a photocopier or laser printer.
c. A lotion used to refresh the skin.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person or thing that tones or produces tones, esp a concentrated pure organic pigment
2. (Hairdressing & Grooming) a cosmetic preparation that is applied to produce a required effect, such as one that softens or alters hair colour or one that reduces the oiliness of the skin
3. (Photography) photog a chemical solution that softens or alters the colour of the tones of a photographic image
4. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a powdered chemical used in photocopying machines and laser printers, which is transferred onto paper to form the printed image
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a highly concentrated organic pigment.
2. a powder, either dry or dispersed in an organic liquid, used in xerography to produce the final image.
3. a cosmetic preparation for restoring firmness to the skin.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||toner - a solution containing chemicals that can change the color of a photographic print|
solution - a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances; frequently (but not necessarily) a liquid solution; "he used a solution of peroxide and water"
|2.||toner - a black or colored powder used in a printer to develop a xerographic image|
|3.||toner - a lotion for cleansing the skin and contracting the pores|
lotion - any of various cosmetic preparations that are applied to the skin
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
toner[ˈtəʊnər] n (for photocopier) → toner m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
tonern (for skin) tónico (para la piel)
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.