Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various instruments for measuring pressure or tension.
2. An instrument for measuring hydrostatic pressure within the eyeball, used to detect glaucoma.
3. Music An instrument, such as a graduated set of tuning forks, used to determine the pitch or vibration rate of tones.
[Greek tonos, tension; see tone + -meter.]
to′no·met′ric (tō′nə-mĕt′rĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) an instrument for measuring the pitch of a sound, esp one consisting of a set of tuning forks
2. (Medicine) any of various types of instrument for measuring pressure or tension, such as the blood pressure, vapour pressure, etc
[C18: from Greek tonos tone + -meter]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
to•nom•e•ter(toʊˈnɒm ɪ tər)
1. an instrument for measuring the frequencies of tones, as a tuning fork.
2. any of various instruments for measuring intraocular pressure or blood pressure.
ton•o•met•ric (ˌtɒn əˈmɛ trɪk, ˌtoʊ nə-) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
an instrument for determining the pitch of a tone, as a tuning fork or graduated set of tuning forks. — tonometric, adj.See also: Tuning
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tonometer - measuring instrument for measuring tension or pressure (especially for measuring intraocular pressure in testing for glaucoma)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
tonometer[təʊˈnɒmɪtəʳ] N → tonómetro m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n. tonómetro, instrumento usado para medir la tensión o presión esp. intraocular.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012