Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to topaz: opal
a. A colorless, blue, yellow, brown, or pink aluminum silicate mineral, often found in association with granitic rocks and valued as a gemstone.
b. Any of various yellow gemstones, especially a yellow variety of sapphire or corundum.
2. A light yellow variety of quartz.
[Middle English topace, from Old French, from Latin topazus, a precious green stone, from Greek topazos, topazion, a precious green stone such as peridot or chrysolite, perhaps after Topazios, ancient name (said by Pliny the Elder to mean "to be sought" in the local Troglodyte language, since sailors would use it as a landmark) of Zabargad or St. John's Island, an island in the Red Sea off the coast of Egypt formed of rocks rich in peridot.]
1. (Minerals) a white or colourless mineral often tinted by impurities, found in cavities in igneous rocks and in quartz veins. It is used as a gemstone. Composition: hydrated aluminium silicate. Formula: Al2SiO4(F,OH)2. Crystal structure: orthorhombic
2. (Minerals) oriental topaz a yellowish-brown variety of sapphire
3. (Minerals) false topaz another name for citrine
a. a yellowish-brown colour, as in some varieties of topaz
b. (as adjective): topaz eyes.
5. (Animals) either of two South American hummingbirds, Topaza pyra and T. pella
[C13: from Old French topaze, from Latin topazus, from Greek topazos]
1. a mineral, Al2(SiO4)(OH,F)2, occurring in transparent crystal prisms and granular masses and used as a gem.
[1225–75; Middle English topace < Old French < Latin topazus < Greek tópazos]
to′paz•ine` (-pəˌzin, -zɪn) adj.
1. A colorless, blue, yellow, brown, or pink mineral consisting largely of aluminum silicate and valued as a gem. Topaz is often found in pegmatites and is the mineral used to represent a hardness of 8 on the Mohs scale.
2. Any of various yellow gemstones, especially a yellow variety of sapphire or corundum.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||topaz - a yellow quartz |
quartz - a hard glossy mineral consisting of silicon dioxide in crystal form; present in most rocks (especially sandstone and granite); yellow sand is quartz with iron oxide impurities
|2.||topaz - a mineral (fluosilicate of aluminum) that occurs in crystals of various colors and is used as a gemstone|
mineral - solid homogeneous inorganic substances occurring in nature having a definite chemical composition
transparent gem - a gemstone having the property of transmitting light without serious diffusion
|3.||topaz - a light brown the color of topaz |
light brown - a brown that is light but unsaturated
توباز: ياقوت أصْفَر
sarı yakut taşıtopaz
topaz[ˈtəʊpæz] N → topacio m
n → Topas m
topaz[ˈtəʊpæz] n → topazio
a kind of precious stone, of various colours. topaas توباز: ياقوت أصْفَر топаз topázio topas der Topas topas τοπάζι topacio topaas زبرجد topaasi topazeטופז पुखराज topaz topáz topas tópas topazio トパーズ 황옥 topazas topāzs manikam kuning topaastopastopaz زيږ ( ژړ ) ياقوت topázio topaz топаз topás topaz topaz topas บุษราคัม topaz, sarı yakut taşı 黃晶，黃玉 топаз پکھراج، زمرد، ايک قسم کا قيمتي پتھر ngọc topaz 黄晶，黄玉