Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. to·ri (tôr′ī)
1. Architecture A large convex molding, semicircular in cross section, located at the base of a classical column.
2. Anatomy A bulging or rounded projection or swelling.
a. The receptacle of a flower.
b. A thickened area in the middle of the membrane that connects the pits of tracheids in conifers and certain other gymnosperms.
4. Mathematics A toroid generated by a circle; a surface having the shape of a doughnut. Also called tore2.
[Latin, bulge, knot, torus.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ri (-raɪ)
1. (Architecture) Also called: tore a large convex moulding approximately semicircular in cross section, esp one used on the base of a classical column
2. (Mathematics) geometry a ring-shaped surface generated by rotating a circle about a coplanar line that does not intersect the circle. Area: 4π2Rr; volume: 2π2Rr2, where r is the radius of the circle and R is the distance from the line to the centre of the circle
3. (Botany) botany another name for receptacle2
4. (Anatomy) anatomy a ridge, fold, or similar linear elevation
5. (Celestial Objects) astronomy a dense ring of gas and dust which surrounds a dying star, containing most of the star's ejected gas
[C16: from Latin: a swelling, of obscure origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
to•rus(ˈtɔr əs, ˈtoʊr-)
n., pl. to•ri (ˈtɔr aɪ, ˈtoʊr aɪ)
1. a large convex molding, semicircular in profile, commonly forming the lowest member of the base of a column, directly above the plinth.
a. a doughnut-shaped surface generated by the revolution of a conic, esp. a circle, about an exterior line lying in its plane.
b. the solid enclosed by such a surface.
3. Bot. the receptacle of a flower.
4. Anat. a rounded ridge; a protuberant part.
[1555–65; < Latin: literally, strand, thong, raised ridge]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||torus - a ring-shaped surface generated by rotating a circle around an axis that does not intersect the circle|
magnetic core, core - (computer science) a tiny ferrite toroid formerly used in a random access memory to store one bit of data; now superseded by semiconductor memories; "each core has three wires passing through it, providing the means to select and detect the contents of each bit"
round shape - a shape that is curved and without sharp angles
|2.||torus - commonly the lowest molding at the base of a column|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.