Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A machine for computing and showing totals, especially a pari-mutuel machine showing the total number and amounts of bets at a racetrack.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nUS and Canadian term (for senses 1, 2): pari-mutuel
1. (Horse Racing) a system of betting on horse races in which the aggregate stake, less an administration charge and tax, is paid out to winners in proportion to their stake
2. (Horse Racing) the machine that records bets in this system and works out odds, pays out winnings, etc
3. (Mathematics) an apparatus for registering totals, as of a particular function or measurement
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or par•i•mu•tu•el(ˌpær ɪˈmyu tʃu əl)
1. a form of betting on horse races, in which those holding winning tickets divide the total amount bet in proportion to their wagers.
2. Also called pari-mu′tuel machine′. an electronic machine that registers bets in pari-mutuel betting as they are made and calculates and posts the changing odds and final payoffs.
[1880–85; < French: literally, mutual bet]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a machine used in pari-mutuel betting for posting odds and results.See also: Gambling
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||totalizator - computer that registers bets and divides the total amount bet among those who won|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
totalizator[ˈtəʊtəlaɪzeɪtəʳ] N → totalizador m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Horse-racing) → Totalisator m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007