totalizator(redirected from totalizators)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A machine for computing and showing totals, especially a pari-mutuel machine showing the total number and amounts of bets at a racetrack.
nUS and Canadian term (for senses 1, 2): pari-mutuel
1. (Horse Racing) a system of betting on horse races in which the aggregate stake, less an administration charge and tax, is paid out to winners in proportion to their stake
2. (Horse Racing) the machine that records bets in this system and works out odds, pays out winnings, etc
3. (Mathematics) an apparatus for registering totals, as of a particular function or measurement
or par•i•mu•tu•el(ˌpær ɪˈmyu tʃu əl)
1. a form of betting on horse races, in which those holding winning tickets divide the total amount bet in proportion to their wagers.
2. Also called pari-mu′tuel machine′. an electronic machine that registers bets in pari-mutuel betting as they are made and calculates and posts the changing odds and final payoffs.
[1880–85; < French: literally, mutual bet]
a machine used in pari-mutuel betting for posting odds and results.See also: Gambling
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||totalizator - computer that registers bets and divides the total amount bet among those who won|