Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Abbr. TD Football An act of carrying, receiving, or gaining possession of the ball across the opponent's goal line for a score of six points.
2. The contact, or moment of contact, of a landing aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
[From the earlier practice of touching the ball to the ground behind the goal line.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Aeronautics) the moment at which a landing aircraft or spacecraft comes into contact with the landing surface
2. (Rugby) rugby the act of placing or touching the ball on the ground behind the goal line, as in scoring a try
3. (American Football) American football a scoring play worth six points, achieved by being in possession of the ball in the opposing team's end zone. Abbreviation: TD See also field goal2
vb (intr, adverb)
4. (Aeronautics) (of a space vehicle, aircraft, etc) to land
5. (Rugby) rugby to place the ball behind the goal line, as when scoring a try
6. informal to pause during a busy schedule in order to catch up, reorganize, or rest
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an act or instance of scoring six points in football by being in possession of the ball on or behind the opponent's goal line.
2. the act of a Rugby player who touches the ball on or to the ground behind his own goal line.
3. the act or the moment of landing, as of an aircraft.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The contact, or moment of contact, of an aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Score (six points) by running the ball or catching a pass over the opposing team’s goal line.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||touchdown - a score in American football; being in possession of the ball across the opponents' goal line|
score - the act of scoring in a game or sport; "the winning score came with less than a minute left to play"
|2.||touchdown - a landing (as the wheels touch the landing field); especially of airplanes|
landing - the act of coming down to the earth (or other surface); "the plane made a smooth landing"; "his landing on his feet was catlike"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
sự hạ cánh
1. (Aer, Space) (on land) → aterrizaje m; (on sea) → amerizaje m; (on water) → acuatizaje m; (on moon) → alunizaje m
2. (Rugby) → ensayo m (American Ftbl) → touchdown m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
touchdown[ˈtʌtʃdaʊn] n (on land) → atterrissage m; (on sea) → amerrissage m
(in American football) → touchdown m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
touchdown[ˈtʌtʃˌdaʊn] n (on land) → atterraggio; (on sea) → ammaraggio; (on moon) → allunaggio (Rugby) → meta
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
touchdown→ هُبُوط přistání landing Landung παραβίαση τέρματος aterrizaje lentokoneen laskeutuminen atterrissage spuštanje meta 着地 착륙 landing landingsøyeblikk przyziemienie aterragem, aterrissagem приземление landning การบินลงแตะพื้น gol sự hạ cánh 着地
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009