Also found in: Idioms.
1. Physically toughened so as to have great endurance:
Idiom: hard as nails.
2. Capable of exerting considerable effort or of withstanding considerable stress or hardship:
3. Requiring great or extreme bodily, mental, or spiritual strength:
6. Rigorous and unsparing in treating others:
1. A rough, violent person who engages in destructive actions:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.