tour of duty
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. a traveling around from place to place.
2. a long journey including the visiting of a number of places, esp. with a group led by a guide.
3. a brief trip through a place in order to view or inspect it.
4. a journey from town to town, as by a theatrical company or performer.
5. a period of duty at one place or in one job.v.i.
6. to travel from place to place.
7. to travel from town to town giving performances.v.t.
8. to travel through (a place).
9. to send or take (a theatrical company) from town to town.
[1250–1300; Middle English (n.) < Middle French < Latin tornus < Greek tórnos tool for making a circle. compare turn]