Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A series of contests in which a number of contestants compete and the one that prevails through the final round or that finishes with the best record is declared the winner.
2. A medieval martial sport in which two groups of mounted and armored combatants fought against each other with blunted lances or swords.
[Middle English tournement, a medieval sport, from Old French torneiement, from torneier, to tourney; see tourney.]
tournament(ˈtʊənəmənt; ˈtɔː-; ˈtɜː-)
1. (General Sporting Terms) a sporting competition in which contestants play a series of games to determine an overall winner
2. (General Sporting Terms) a meeting for athletic or other sporting contestants: an archery tournament.
3. (Historical Terms) medieval history
a. (originally) a martial sport or contest in which mounted combatants fought for a prize
b. (later) a meeting for knightly sports and exercises
[C13: from Old French torneiement, from torneier to fight on horseback, literally: to turn, from the constant wheeling round of the combatants; see tourney]
tour•na•ment(ˈtʊər nə mənt, ˈtɜr-)
1. a trial of skill in some game, in which competitors play a series of contests: a chess tournament.
2. a meeting for contests in a variety of sports, as between teams of different nations.
a. a medieval contest or martial sport in which mounted knights fought with blunted lances for a prize.
b. a meeting for the performance of knightly exercises and sports.
[1175–1225; Middle English tornement < Old French torneiement, derivative of torne(ier) to tourney]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tournament - a sporting competition in which contestants play a series of games to decide the winner|
World Cup - a soccer tournament held every four years between national soccer teams to determine a world champion
elimination tournament - a tournament in which losers are eliminated in successive rounds
open - a tournament in which both professionals and amateurs may play
round robin - a tournament in which every contestant plays every other contestant
|2.||tournament - a series of jousts between knights contesting for a prize|
دَوْرَةٌ من المُبارياتمُبَارَاة
vòng đấu loại
tournament[ˈtʊərnəmənt] n → tournoi m
n (Sport etc, also Hist) → Turnier nt
a competition in which many players compete in many separate games. I'm playing in the next tennis tournament. toernooi دَوْرَةٌ من المُباريات състезание torneio turnaj das Tournier turnering πρωτάθλημα, τουρνουάtorneo turniir تورنمنت؛ یک دوره مسابقه turnaus tournoiטורניר खेल प्रतियोगिता natjecanje torna pertandingan keppni, mót torneo トーナメント 승자 진출전 turnyras turnīrs pertandingan toernooiturneringturniej ټورنمنټ، دسانګي دهلو لوبه ( په لرغوني وخت كې ) لوبه، دلوبو مسابقه torneio turneu турнир turnaj turnir turnir turnering การแข่งขัน turnuva 錦標賽 турнір ٹورنامنٹ، کھيل کا مقابلہ giải đấu 锦标赛