Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. Abbr. Twp. or Tp. or T
1. A subdivision of a county in most northeast and Midwest US states, having the status of a unit of local government with varying governmental powers.
2. A public land surveying unit of 36 sections or 36 square miles.
3. An ancient administrative division of a large parish in England.
4. A suburb or city in South Africa formerly designated by the government as a predominantly black residential area.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Human Geography) a small town
2. (Human Geography) (in the Scottish Highlands and islands) a small crofting community
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the US and Canada) a territorial area, esp a subdivision of a county: often organized as a unit of local government
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (formerly, in South Africa) a planned urban settlement of Black Africans or Coloured people. Compare location4
5. (Historical Terms) English history
a. any of the local districts of a large parish, each division containing a village or small town
b. the particular manor or parish itself as a territorial division
c. the inhabitants of a township collectively
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a unit of local government, usu. a subdivision of a county, found in most midwestern and northeastern states of the U.S. and in most Canadian provinces.
2. (in U.S. surveys of public land) a region or district approximately 6 miles square (93.2 sq. km), containing 36 sections.
a. one of the local divisions or districts of a large parish in ancient England.
b. the parish itself.
4. (in South Africa) a residential settlement for blacks, located outside a city or town.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Townshipthe inhabitants of a town, collectively, c. 890.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||township - an administrative division of a county; "the town is responsible for snow removal"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
township[ˈtaʊnʃɪp] N (= small town) → pueblo m (US) → municipio m (South Africa) asentamiento urbano creado en tiempos del apartheid para gente de raza negra en Sudáfrica
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
township[ˈtaʊnʃɪp] n → township m or f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
township[ˈtaʊnʃɪp] n → township f inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995